Volume XIX Issue XII                                                       THE POST                                                                Mar 30th, 2021

Service Officer’s Post for Mar/Apr 2021

Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans

Certain Servicemembers and Veterans with service-connected disabilities may be entitled to a housing grant from VA to help build a new specially adapted house, to adapt a home they already own, or buy a house and modify it to meet their disability-related requirements. Eligible Veterans or Servicemembers may now receive up to three grants, with the total dollar amount of the grants not to exceed the maximum allowable. Previous grant recipients who had received assistance of less than the current maximum allowable may be eligible for an additional grant.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant: VA may approve a grant of not more than 50 percent of the cost of building, buying, or adapting existing homes or paying to reduce indebtedness on a currently owned hone that is being adapted, up to a maximum of $67,555. In certain instances, the full grant amount may be applied toward remodeling costs. Veterans and Servicemembers must be determined eligible to receive compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to one of the following

  1. Loss or loss of use of both lower extremities, which so affects the functions of balance or propulsion ambulating without the aid of braces, crutches, canes or a wheelchair.
  2. Loss or loss of use of both upper extremities at or above the elbow.
  3. Blindness in both eyes, having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity.
  4. Loss or loss of use of one lower extremity together with (a) residuals or organic disease or injury, or (b) the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity which so affects the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the use of braces, canes, crutches or a wheelchair.
  5. Severe burn injuries, which are defined as full thickness or subdermal burns that have resulted in contractures with limitation of motion of two or more extremities or of at least one extremity and the trunk.
  6. The loss or loss of use of one or more lower extremities due to service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, which so affects the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude ambulating without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

Special Home Adaption (SHA) Grant: VA may approve a benefit amount up to a maximum of $13,511 for the cost of necessary adaptations to a Servicemember’s or Veteran’s residence or to help him/her disability, to purchase and adapt a home, or for adaptions to a family member’s home in which they will reside. To be eligible for this grant, Servicemembers and Veterans must be entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to one of the following:

  1. Blindness in both eyes with 20/20 visual acuity or less.
  2. Anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands.
  3. Severe burn injuries (see above)

Temporary Residence Adaption (TRA): Eligible Veterans andServicemember who are temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member may also receive a TRA grant to help the Veteran or Servicemember adapt the family member’s home to meet his or her special needs. Those eligible for a $65,555 grant would be permitted to use up to $29,657 and those eligible for $13,511 grant would be permitted to use up to $5,295. Grant amounts are adjusted Oct. 1 every year based on a cost-of-construction index. These adjustments will increase the grant amounts or leave them unchanged; grant amounts will not decrease. Under the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012, TRA grant amounts do not count against SAH grant maximum amounts starting Aug. 6, 2013.

The property may be located outside the United States, in a country or political subdivision which allows individual s to have or acquire a beneficial property interest, and in which the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in his or her discretion, has determined that it is reasonably practicable for the Secretary to provide assistance in acquiring specially adapted housing. For more information on SAH, visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/sah.asp.

Supplemental Financing:Veterans and Servicemembers with available loan guaranty entitlement may also obtain a guaranteed loan or a direct loan from VA to supplement the grant to acquire a specially adapted home. Amounts with a guaranteed loan from a private lender will vary, but the maximum direct loan from VA is $33,000.

Additional information about the Specially Adapted Housing Program is available at


Automobile Allowance: As of Oct 1, 2013, Veterans and Servicemembers may be eligible for a one-time payment of not more than $19,817 toward the purchase of an automobile or other conveyance if they have service-connected loss or permanent loss of use of one or both hands or feet or permanent impairment of vision of both eyes to a certain degree.

They may also be eligible for adaptive equipment, and for repair, replacement, or reinstallation required because of a disability or the safe operation of a vehicle purchased with VA assistance. To apply, contact a VA regional office at 1-800-827-1000 or the nearest VA health care facility.

Clothing Allowance:Any Veteran who has service-connected disabilities that require clothing allowances. This allowance is also available to any Veteran whose service-connected skin condition requires prescribed medication that irreparably damages outer garments. To apply, contact the prosthetic representative at the nearest VA medical center.

Allowance for Aid and Attendance or Housebound Veterans

A Veteran who is determined by VA to be in need of the regular aid and attendance of another person, or a Veteran who is permanently housebound, nay be entitled to additional disability compensation or pension payments. A Veteran evaluated at 30 percent or more disabled is entitled to receive an additional payment for a spouse who is in need of the aid and attendance of another person.

(To Be Continued Next Month)

Reminder: All paid Legion members are eligible for the Legionnaire Insurance Trust benefit program, but members must confirm on the following web site: thelit.comand navigate to the PRODUCTS menu bar item and select No Cost LegionCare. On the No Cost LegionCare page, select the Sign Up Now button. You will need to supply the following: Zip Code, DOB info, Department (IL), Belong To info, American Legion Member number, Email Address, Name Info, Street Address info, Phone and Gender. You must perform the sign-up process. You will be covered with $1000 accidental death insurance and $5000 while on official American Legion business.

Sick Call For the Months of Feb/Mar 2021

Greg Bowling, Sal Estrada, Warren Koerner, Robert Lewis, Henry Callahan, Robert Palucki, Stan Kuchta, Pat Rafferty and Ralph McCurdy.

Birthdays For the Month of March 2021 (11)

Ralph McCurdy Jr. (03), Joseph Raspante (03), Jerome Kornusky (04), Jeff Ciullo (08), Keith Pekau (10), Alfred Leonard (12), James Osmolski (13) John Schaddelee (19), Thomas Chambers (25), Ronald Malarick (25), Gerald Maher (29)